Thursday, 24 February 2011

Concerns With the Ever So Popular Twilight

I love vampire and supernatural books as much as the next person so I picked up the novel Twilight in grade seven at a book fair when the book was unheard of and newly released. I noticed a few odd concepts in the novel but at the age of 13 it doesn't register to a full degree.  By grade 9 the book was flowering with the popularity it was receiving and I read it again. I was disturbed by the new things I found that I now know isn't natural.

Edward Cullen. Main hot, sexy male character.

He is a stalker and a pedophile.

He watched Bella as she slept? He thirsted for her blood? He followed her home? 
There and then, the alarm bell started going, but Bella STILL fell in love with him! She's okay with the fact she watches her. She's okay with the fact that he thirsts for her blood and wants to EAT her.  Usually you would not be turned on or attracted to someone who takes their free time to watch you sleep or wants to eat you...you get a restraining order.

To top it,  he is over 100 years old. She is 17.  Can you say Pedophilia?
Think, if he did show his age?  He'd be ANCIENT.

Why is he in high school again? WHY would you want to repeat the thing most can't wait to get out of?
Possibly Edward has had hits to his manly pride as well. After all, he does Sparkle like a diamond in the sun.  What happened to the TRADITIONAL vampires? The ones who stayed inside all day? Who were afraid of crosses? Who hated garlic?
They were replaced with sparkling, human loving vampires like Edward.



Miss Bella Swan becomes SO RELIANT on Edward. Ditches her friends, ditches her friends and  lies to her father several times throughout the series.
Then he breaks up with her suddenly.
What does she do?
She sits, in a corner and mops. For MONTHS. In the SAME clothes.  She refuses to talk to anyone and shuts out the world.
WHAT?
GO GET SOME HELP.
She is a boy. We get it. You loved him but hunny, get over it.
Then he comes back and she goes on crawling back to him like a sick little puppy.

What does this teach the young girls of today who read these books?
Be reliant on your man.
WOW.
Independence? We fought for that! Why do you need a man? You can live just fine without one. Don't make me start quoting the Pussycat Dolls and their "I Don't Need A Man" song.

"I don't need a ring around my finger, to make me feel complete" -PCD
Yep, but Bella does. At the age of 18, she ditches University and her family and goes off to marry Edward. Smart move. Way to give up your entire life for a man.

Now after going though Biology in grade 9, I realize a HUGE problem.

BELLA GETS PREGNANT?

HOW?

That is biologically incorrect.

He has no blood and no semen therefore not only is it not possible for him to have intercourse with her, it is impossible to make her pregnant.
Also, WHY would you want the child of a vampire who will rip its way out of your body when its ready to come out?

Smart thinking...I guess they didn't think people learned biology. Or did they just wish for us to ignore the basic facts of reproduction?


Call me critical because I can't enjoy a basic vampire novel but I can only ignore so many details before it becomes unbearable to read without thinking WHAT THE...?

No comments:

Post a Comment